Friday, May 8, 2009

How to make Biltong (my way)

Biltong is a style of dried meat

This recipe is derived from a number of different recipes that I found on the web and some hints and tips that were passed down the generations of my wife's side of the family.

Ingredients:

Rock salt
Apple Cider Vinegar

Biltong Spice:
per kilo of meat
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of coriander (cilantro) seeds (dry fry then blend them to a powder)
1 teaspoon of blended pepper corns
Optional (Ground dried chilli to taste)

I pre-make the biltong spice and freeze large batches of it. It's important to heat up the coriander before you blend it all together.

As far as I know you can use any meat, with the exception of pork. Apparently pork goes rancid rather than curing. You can even use fish, though I have never tried.

I like to use a cut of silverside, or top side beef. The long straight grain of the meat makes it easy to cut into strips and hang, plus its fairly inexpensive. The downside is, silverside has little fat which some people like in their biltong.

Make sure your surfaces, knives and hands are clean, this meat is going to hang raw for a long period so we want to minimise any type of contamination.

I've purchased around 3 kilos of silverside, theres another piece in the fridge.

Cut the meat into 1-2 inch think strips along the grain

Lay the meat on a bed of rock salt and cover it with more salt. I use mostly rock salt and sometimes sprinkle a fine coat of table salt.

Let the meat salt for 2-3 hours in the fridge covered with cling wrap. You can vary the saltiness by reducing or increasing this time. A large amount of moisture will come out of the meat so make sure your tray wont leak.

Scrape off all salt with knife (do not wash)
Submerge the meat in apple cider Vinegar for a minute.
Optional (mix the vinegar with some Worcestershire sauce or your favourite spicy sauce)










Take out the meat and roll it in the biltong spice







Hang the meat in your drying cupboard with 60 watt globe and 12cm case fan. There are plenty of instructions on the web about how to build one of these boxes. Mine differs slightly from most in that I have a small computer fan circulating air through the box, I find that this allows me to fit more meat into a smaller area and dry it quicker. Die hard biltong makers prefer to let the meat dry slower as it has a better taste, a luxury that I with my limited space cannot afford.

The meat is usually ready in 4-8 days depending on the size of the cut and the drying chamber.

Hints and tips:
Humidity and mould are your enemy. If your meat starts to get small white dots on it (mould) you have two options.
1. Throw the meat out and review your drying area
2. Brush the meat with cider vinegar to kill the fungus
I've only had this happen once when I tried to make biltong in the middle of winter in our laundry whilst frequently using the clothes dryer.

Don't crowd your meat whilst its drying. The only reason I get away with 3 kilos is such a small space is due to the small PC fan. More meat equals more moisture, more moisture equals fungus.

You can freeze biltong for storage. I usually make bulk 3+ kilo amounts and then freeze it in separate bags.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, I randomly came across your blog using the 'Next Blog' function on the top toolbar - I've never tried Biltong but it sounds delicious! Love your drying box setup too - I'd be too scared to try and cure the meat myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam. I am a Biltong bullhound from way way back. I often eat biltong on my weet bix with milk and sugar. I came across your blog while surfing the net looking for other biltong mungers. Maybe we can catch up and compare biltongs :> Please feel free to contact me at any time with a spice thats twice as nice. All the best Tong Man 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want a easy and free recipe to make your own traditional south african biltong? Copy and paste this link into your browser: http://hubpages.com/hub/howtomakebiltong

    ReplyDelete
  4. ENEMIES: Not just humidity and mould but FLIES who will try and lay their eggs and this can cause the meat to rot. (SICK)
    Also the hooks must be soaked in vinegar to sterilze them this is also very important as the meat can rot there as well. Dave Hofmann Biltong freak and maker since a child

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, would have been good to see this before I started my process. I do mine slightly differently too, seems we all have our own style. Based on all my mates asking how I reverted to said blog blitongstuff.blogspot.com. Keen on your comments too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Which fan from the pc did you use? Nerds at pc shop are giving me a hard time asking which fan! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. forget the PC fan, go to B&Q and buy a bathroom fan. I have one at the top of my box and side vent holes at the bottom sides with filters of course. . I make mine slightly different. I mix half water and half vinegar and some Worcester sauce and then dip the meat in the mixture for a second only, then dip it in the spice. i then put it in a container in the fridge for at least 6 hours, then i hang it. 3 days later i have lovely Biltong. I live in the UK.

    ReplyDelete